Prep time 10 mins
Cook time 20 mins
- 2 cups milk
- 5 whole cloves
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup sweetened, condensed milk
- 4 egg yolks
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp .ground nutmeg, plus more for garnish
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Combine milk, cloves, cinnamon and condensed milk over low heat in a deep sauce pan until the mixture is no longer chilled and is heated through. Slowly increase the heat to medium and bring the mixture to a low boil. Careful not to allow a rolling boil.
- In a medium bowl, combine the eggs and sugar. Beat the eggs using a stand mixer, electric mixer or by hand until lightened in colour and fluffy.
- Slowly temper the eggs by adding about 1 tbsp at a time of the hot mixture into the egg and sugar mixture. Once enough of the milk mixture is in the egg mixture, pour it all back into the sauce pan. Heat over medium heat for 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently, until thickened. You will know it’s thick when you can leave a clean line on the back of a spoon.
- Add the heavy whipping cream, nutmeg and vanilla extract to the mixture and heat through. Do not bring to a boil.
- Strain the mixture using a fine mesh strainer to catch the spices. Place in an airtight container in the refrigerator and let cool for at least one hour, preferably longer.
Serve cold. Garnish with additional nutmeg if desired.